Eternal Light - A Requiem
Code: EMI 50999 2 15047 2 3
EMI Classics is proud to release Eternal Light: A Requiem, a new work by the award-winning British composer and internationally acclaimed broadcaster, Howard Goodall.
Goodall’s fresh and unorthodox interpretation of the Requiem Mass is performed by Christ Church Cathedral Choir, Oxford and London Musici conducted by Stephen Darlington with soloists Natasha Marsh, Alfie Boe and Christopher Maltman.
Howard Goodall was voted Composer of the Year at 2009 Classical Brit Awards, having been nominated for Eternal Light – A Requiem which features the Choir.
- Requiem aeternam (everlasting peace) – Kyrie Eleison – ‘Close now thine eyes and rest secure, thy soul is safe enough, thy body sure’
- Revelation I: a passage from the Bible depicting the end of the world (Apocalypse)
- Litany: Belief. ‘I have to believe that you still exist somewhere, That you still watch me Sometimes, That you still love me Somehow. I have to believe That life has meaning Somehow, That I am useful here Sometimes, That I make small differences Somewhere. I have to believe That I need to stay here For some time, That all this teaches me Something, So that I can meet you again Somewhere.
- Hymn: ‘Lead, kindly light amid the encircling gloom, Lead thou me on…’
- Lacrymosa (Tears): ‘Do not stand at my grave and weep, I am not there, I do not sleep…’
- Dies Irae (That terrible day): In Flanders Fields the poppies blow, Between the crosses row on row…’
- Recordare (Remember us, sweet Jesus): ‘Drop, drop, slow tears..’
- Revelation II
- Agnus Dei (Lamb of God)
- In Paradisum – Lux Aeterna (In paradise, eternal light & everlasting peace).